New to Middle School? 6 Ways to Get a Great Start!
By Laurie Bergman, mom of Erik (Class of 2018)
I remember all the questions I had this time of year. Was I getting everything in on time? Was my child going to be ready? Would I be ready? Here are some things that new middle school parents may want to keep in mind during the first few weeks of school.
- Get to know Veracross. When you log into Veracross for the first time, take some time to get acquainted with all of the site’s features. You’ll find your student’s schedule, the school calendar, and your child’s classmates. Click Directory under each of your children’s classes, or go to the Directory tab in the upper right and click My Classes in the blue bar. Teachers update Veracross frequently; our family found it very helpful to have a heads up about in-class and homework assignments. We also liked having access to the daily school announcements, accessible through the Recent Class Updates tab.
- Read the Student-Parent Handbook 2014-2015. You’ll find so many answers to your questions!
- Get connected. Make the most of opportunities to meet with other parents at Westminster events. Class events are a great way to get to know your child’s friends and their parents. School events give you the community-wide view and are an easy way to meet families with children in older grades. Westminster News emails will keep you up to speed on class-specific events, as well as all-school news and happenings. I read it every week with my Saturday morning coffee!
- Get involved. Find your niche as a volunteer. Consider your talents, your available time, and how both may serve Westminster. Even a little bit of time given here and there makes a big difference to the school. Ask Lisa Rupprecht for more info!
- Ask questions. Read the emails from your parent connector and feel comfortable asking questions; they’ve been in your shoes and know that starting school in a new place is quite an experience – not only for the child but also for the entire family. No question is too goofy for your parent connector!
- Stay up-to-date. Westminster is social! The school maintains a vibrant Facebook page and Twitter account; both will keep you up to date on school happenings.