Part-time School Nurse
Westminster Christian Academy is currently seeking a Part-time School Nurse to join our Student Development Team for the 2020-21 school year. Founded in 1976 as an independent, coeducational school, Westminster Christian Academy provides a comprehensive college preparatory program for 950 students in grades 7 through 12. The school is located in suburban St. Louis County, Missouri, on a 70-acre campus, 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis.
Westminster Christian Academy honors Jesus Christ by providing an excellent education, rooted in biblical truth as interpreted by the Westminster Confession of Faith, for the children of Christian parents. Faculty and staff enable students to discover and embrace a biblical view of the world and integrate that view into every area of life.
The Part-time School Nurse will be responsible for assisting in the provision of health care services to students, faculty and staff. Through incorporation of input and consent from parents and/or physician, the school nurse will maximize safety and develop emergency and individualized student care plans.
The work schedule for this position will be Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; additional days as needed; 15-18 hours per week. This is a 10 month position; some summer hours may be required.
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures as provided by the health service coordinator and contained in manuals, employee handbook and/or in accordance with state law
- Provide nursing care and first aid to students and staff, particularly to those students with chronic medical conditions or disabilities
- Collect student health records including physical examinations, immunizations, medication orders, etc.
- Administer prescription and non-prescription medication according to physician and parent authorization and in accordance with the Physician’s Desk Reference
- Maintain detailed daily log of student visits and parent/physician contacts along with accurate and timely individual electronic documentation of students’ health records.
- Establish, update and maintain confidential student files and health and immunization records
- Provide health education and anticipatory counseling
- Develop individualized student health and emergency care plans for students with special health care needs
- Implement health care plans for the purpose of meeting needs of students with chronic medical conditions and/or accommodation requirements
- Maintain contact with parent/guardians for the purpose of advising them of changes in student health and/or recommending further medical evaluation and treatment
- Report health and safety issues to health services coordinator, administration and/or appropriate agencies for the purposes of maintaining students’ safety and complying with regulatory requirements
- Communicate with faculty and staff on a “need to know basis” regarding student health concerns
- Collaborate with the athletic trainer to ensure coordination of care for student athletes
- ADN with equivalent nursing experience; BSN preferred
- A minimum of three years nursing experience; experience in school nursing, pediatric or community health preferred
- A clear testimony of a personal saving relationship with Jesus Christ
- Membership or faithful attendance at an approved Protestant church congregation
- Current Registered Nurse Licensure in the state of Missouri
- Current CPR/AED certification
- Knowledge of basic pharmacology and OSHA regulations pertaining to blood borne pathogens and infection control
- Valid Driver’s License
- Strong computer skills and aptitude
- Must be well organized and detail oriented with strong communication skills