College & Career Counselor
Westminster Christian Academy is currently seeking a College & Career Counselor to join our Guidance & Counseling team.
Founded in 1976 as an independent, coeducational school, Westminster Christian Academy provides a comprehensive college preparatory program for 975 students in grades 7 through 12. The school is located in suburban St. Louis County, Missouri, on a 70-acre campus, 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis.
Westminster Christian Academy honors Jesus Christ by providing an excellent education, rooted in biblical truth as interpreted by the Westminster Confession of Faith, for the children of Christian parents. Faculty and staff enable students to discover and embrace a biblical view of the world and integrate that view into every area of life.
The College and Career Counselor serves as a resource to students and parents throughout the college and career planning process and develops and maintains relationships with college admissions personnel to promote Westminster and its community.
- Serve as a resource to students and parents through the college and career planning process.
- Educate and counsel students and parents in the areas of college admission, career guidance, special programs, and financial aid.
- Assist students with scheduling college visits and establishing contacts at colleges of interest.
- Develop and maintain relationships with college admissions representatives and promote Westminster to college communities.
- Conduct college-planning information sessions for sophomore, junior, and senior parents and students.
- Schedule regular classroom student interactions to foster student responsibility and timeliness relative to post-secondary planning.
- Coordinate with faculty members to develop classroom-implemented programs to support the college and career counseling function.
- Advise students on course selections and scheduling specific to their college plans and/or desired major.
- Assist students with college essays by providing instruction, preforming reviews, and offering suggestions for improvement.
- Provide information to parents and students, via the Cats College Weekly publication, regarding college fairs, college nights and information sessions.
- Facilitate student and parent workshops and seminars in order to educate and instruct on various college related topics.
- Maintain and manage student data files that include information such as testing history, grades, recommendations, brag sheets, and activity sheets.
- Write official school reports and recommendations and send application packages to colleges.
- Encourage student participation in scholarship competitions and provide students with vital resources and contacts.
- Publicize ACT and SAT testing information and help interpret test results.
- Manage the administration of the Advanced Placement (AP) testing program schoolwide.
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling or education.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in college counseling or college admissions.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Ability to work well within a collaborative and team-based work environment.
To be considered, please complete our Employment Application.